Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mini White Chocolate Donuts

On Sunday I was invited to the Baby Shower of my lovely friend Rebecca Sterritt's newly born niece, Lucy.


I thought I would take the opportunity to try out my lovely new donut pan purchased from eBay for the bargain price of a tenner, which I decided to buy in order to make delicious yet healthier donutty treats.


Making donuts was a lot of fun. Not only did I get to use my lovely pan but we also used the piping bag that we have on loan from Krystle.


In fact we soon discovered that it was Bailey who was the whiz with the piping bag and eventually I just gave up and let him do all the piping as I was getting it all over my hands.


I would definitely say donuts are an impressive home-made gift. I was dead pleased that at the party, people seemed to think that making donuts must have been loads more difficult than it actually was and were shocked that I'd made them myself from scratch. Someone even asked me: "So did you just buy some mini donuts and decorate them?" When I said  no people were dead surprised which made me feel like a good cook. Which is always good.


Anyway eating aside, I had a fab time on Sunday. It was great to see the wee baby looking so tiny and cute and to see Mum looking so well. It's always lovely to see Miss Sterritt (and I also had the pleasure of seeing Miss Duff!!) and I'm sure she will be a great aunt!


Recipe (makes 32 mini donuts):
170g plain flour
105g sugar
1 and a 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
150ml milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
25g butter
Cooking spray
100g white chocolate
3-4 drops red food colouring
Pink sprinkles


Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour and crack the egg in before mixing it in well. Mix the milk and the vinegar together in a jug before gradually adding it to the mix, stirring it in well at the same time. Finally, melt the butter in the microwave and add that to the mix.


Prepare your mini donut tin by spraying well with cooking spray.


Transfer some of the donut mix into a piping bag. Carefully pipe the donut mixture into the donut pan, only filling about halfway as the donuts do rise quite a bit.


Put the donuts into the oven for about 5-7 minutes depending on your oven, until they are golden but not too brown as what with them being small they may end up a bit biscuity!


When all of the donuts are out of the oven, as they cool, melt the white chocolate in the microwave for about a minute before adding the pink food colouring to it and mixing...


...until it's a pretty pink colour.


Once the donuts are cool, dunk them into the white chocolate mixture to get a nice pretty thin layer of pink chocolate.


Cover the donuts the with the sprinkles while the chocolate is still melted so that the sprinkles stick to the chocolate topping.


Leave the donuts to cool until the white chocolate has set again and the sprinkles are firmly stuck to the donuts.


Then... eat and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving us a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...