Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cookies in a Jar

Looking for inspiration for what to send my first Foodie Penpal has been tough. As my penpal who I'd been paired with loves cakes, I wanted an idea that got her into the kitchen but that also had a bit of input from me.

I remembered that I'd heard Gwyn from Vintage Afternoon Teas talking about some cookie mixes in a jar that you could give out as presents and all you had to do was add the wet ingredients.


I thought this was a lovely idea as it would mean you could get the freshly baked taste without having to weigh out all the ingredients yourself.


I ended up having to make two jars' worth as I weighed out all of the ingredients then discovered it wouldn't fit in my jar! This was OK though as it meant I got to make one to give to Eilis, Bailey's boss' daughter.


I'll definitely be making these again, I'm sure they'll go down well at Christmas for little pressies!

Recipe:

250g plain flour
5g baking powder
6g salt
220g soft brown sugar
100g granulated sugar
100g sultanas
100g dark chocolate chips


Prepare two large sterilised jars. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder together. Divide them equally between the two jars and pack down with a spoon.


Repeat this process adding the brown sugar, the granulated sugar, sultanas and chocolate chips, packing the layers down after each addition.


Screw the lids onto the jars on tightly. Write out two labels with the following instructions:

"Ingredients:
100g butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and prepare a greased baking tray. In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla into the butter. Pour the cookie mix into the bowl and combine thoroughly. Place teaspoonfuls of the cookie dough, well spaced apart, onto the baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Leave to cool on a wire rack."


Attach the labels to the jars and decorate the jars using fabric, wrapping paper, ribbons, etc. Give the jars out as pressies to your pals!




5 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea I must do this for gifts for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff. You could make lovely Christmasy ones with cranberries and things in.

      Delete
  2. this may be a little broken record ish but what a BRILLIANT idea... please forgive me if I pinch it and start sending these to all of my friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do pinch and give to your friends! Would love to hear about how you get on. Do let me know! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi to all, here all people are sharing this type of experience, so it’s good to read this blog; I daily visit this site to learn more awesome things. Health Insurance Miami

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving us a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...