Sunday, August 18, 2013

Chard and Saffron Omelettes

At last month's Levy Market I picked up some bargain organic vegetables at the end of the day (we never have time to look round while the market is actually on!) from the locally-sourced fruit and veg stall the market put on themselves (because that's the kind of awesome market it is!). The veggies in question were cavolo nero and chard.


I had never cooked with either of these vegetables but knew I would need to look no further than my favourite cookbook, Ottolenghi's Plenty for a recipe.


I decided to use the cavolo nero as an alternative to sorrel in the Fried Butterbeans with Sumac and Feta recipe I made with Wendy Swetnam at the Middle Eastern Spice Cracking Good Food workshop. This worked out but I do think I like the sorrel version a lot better.


We had this on the side of a recipe I've been wanting to try out for AGES - Chard and Saffron Omelettes. I went out and got all of my ingredients from my local Madina Superstore on Stockport Road, which I love having a nosy round and I am a big fan of those waxy Cyprus potatoes (they make great wedges!). It did mean I had to change a couple of ingredients out of Ottolenghi's original but it didn't seem to matter much.


Both Bailey and I loved this dish - I thought the herby omelettes were great and I will definitely be using them as inspiration for other stuffed omelette recipes. This tea was lovely with a bit of bread. And quelle surprise, yet another brilliant Ottolenghi recipe, the man is a genius.


Recipe:
250g Cyprus potatoes
200ml water
Pinch saffron
350g chard
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove
5 eggs
60ml milk
100g Greek yogurt


Peel and dice the potatoes. Put them into a saucepan with the water and saffron. Simmer in the pan for 4 minutes.


Add the chard to the pan along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for around 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic. If there's any water left, drain it off. Add the lemon juice and garlic to the mixture then put to one side.


Now make the omelettes. Chop the herbs up nice and fine.


Whisk the eggs with the milk and chopped herbs and some salt and pepper in a jug.


Grease a frying pan (I used low calorie cooking spray but Ottolenghi suggests a 1 teaspoon of oil), place over the heat then pour a quarter of the omelette mix into the pan. When the omelette has started to set on one side, flip it and cook the other side. 


Place the cooked omelette into an oven dish. 


Spread one half of the omelette with a quarter of the Greek yogurt, making a half moon shape and then spread the chard mix over half of that, making a quarter.


Fold the omelette into four. Repeat the process with the other three quarters of the omelette mix until you have four omelettes filled with Greek yogurt and the chard mix. Heat for 5-8 minutes until the omelettes are warmed up then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving us a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...